Wednesday, April 30, 2008

In Sickness and in Health

My husband and I attended a wedding last weekend. Actually, we only went to the reception and not the ceremony because of space limitations. That was okay with me because the reception is always more fun and I have started to feel uncomfortable hearing couples exchange vows.

No one would accuse me of being sentimental, but when I go to a wedding to see a young couple professing their love to each other no matter what, I get a little choked up. I remember when Doug and I were that young couple. We never could have imagined what was in store for us. They say that love conquers all, but I wonder if we would have said "I do" if we fully understood what we were agreeing to. I mean every couple expects that if they stay together long enough they will experience the sickness part, perhaps in their 70s or 80s but not in their 30s. We will celebrate our 17th anniversary in early August and I am grateful that it does not coincide with the anniversary of my diagnosis in late August. In life, there are joyful celebrations and days of quiet remembrance.

I sincerely hope that the newly married couple who started their lives together will have a long, happy and healthy marriage. Ordinary life is enough of a challenge; extraordinary life can seem insurmountable. All I can say is in the journey of life it's good to have someone's hand to hold.

No comments: